|Tuscan Chicken Soup
dish not available
made a New Year's resolution to eat more soup. So this recipe from
Prevention Magazine will be one of many soup recipes that will be in my
web kitchen from now on. The ingredients list is long, but the more
complex the soup, the more I like it as a full meal option. One
simplification might be the use of an Italian herb blend that contains
the required Thyme, Sage, and Oregano (but no salt or MSG).
- 1 C chopped carrots
- 1 C chopped celery
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 C chopped yellow onion
- 1.5 T minced garlic
- 1 lare bay leaf
- 8 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 C shredded roasted skinless chicken breast
- 3 diced plum domatoes
- 1/2 C grated zuchinni
- 1 15-oz can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz can of artichoke hearts in water, drained and rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 T chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 T dried)
- 1 T finely chopped fresh sage (or 1/2 T dried)
- 1 T fresh thyme (or 1/2 T dried)
- 12 thin slices of real Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Steam carrots and celery in microwave
- Saute onion in stockpot with oil for 5-7 minutes
- Add garlic, steamed vegetables, and bay leaf to the pot and saute for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in broth adn add chicken, tomatoes, zucchini, beans, and artichokes.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and add oregano, sage, and thyme, then simmer another 5 minutes.
- Top with thin slices of Parmesan cheese if desired.
218 calories per 2-cup serving. Just watch the sodium since the chicken
stock is loaded with it. The fresher the ingredients, the higher the
nutrient and fiber content.
12 cups of soup. Total time about 1 hour and 15 minutes.