- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, chopped [canned chopped tomatoes]
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups vegetable stock [chicken broth]
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup half-and-half [sour cream added at serving time]
- Melt the butter with the oil over low heat in a pot.
- Add the onion; wilt over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring. Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 minutes longer, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes. Season with cloves, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Purée the soup in a food processor. Pour through a strainer into a pot. Stir in the half-and-half. (Coarse-rustic texture, use hand beater instead of food processor.)
- Warm the soup before serving.