- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, quartered, then sliced
- 1 lb package of shredded carrots
- 2 cups onion, quartered, then sliced to same size as cabbage
- 2 or 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 46 oz low salt tomato juice
- Cooking spray
- sliced, toasted baguette or crustini (optional)
- Lightly coat a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray.
- Saute onion, cabbage, carrots, garlic and celery until all vegetables appear wilted.
- Add ground beef to skillet and stir fry until no longer pink, stirring constantly to caramelize vegetables.
- Strain in metal strainer to render any grease.
- Place all ingredients into a soup pot.
- Add low-salt tomato juice, and bay leaf and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place bread slices in serving bowls, ladle soup over bread and serve (optional)