|This is the dish that the Duffield's became famous for bringing to the Church of the Creator pot luck suppers in the 60's and 70's. Usually these were observances of Lent when meatless dishes were brought by parishioners on Tuesday evenings. The dish was very easy to make and cheap! We often made embellishments to this recipe like adding some bacon bits, canned mushroom pieces, etc.
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional depending on salt content of stuffing mix)
- 3 cups frozen chopped broccoli thawed
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion thawed
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup instant herb-flavored stuffing mix
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- spray canola oil
- Preheat oven to 325°F
- Grease a 9" x 6" glass casserole dish
- Combine broccoli and onion in a microwave safe dish and thaw completely
- In a mixing bowl blend cream cheese, sour cream, and shredded cheddar cheese until uniform
- Add broccoli, onion, lemon juice, and all but 1/4 cup of the stuffing mix and stir until fully mixed
- Pour broccoli mixture into the greased casserole dish
- Bake for 40 minutes at 325°F
- Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining stuffing mix across top of casserole
- Bake for additional 5-10 minutes to create crusty surface and serve
The full fat and salt content of this dish probably overtakes the nutritional benefits of broccoli. To improve this, use low- or no-fat versions of the dairy products.
12 servings from this recipe. Total time about 45 minutes.
Return to Menu Directory Page